This page is currently undergoing some changes so please keep checking in it to see our most up to date information. One of the changes is that we no longer require an application form to be filled out to participate in the BYOx Program. Please contact finance to pay your connection fee directly.
Meridan State College cultivates 21st century education through the use of digital technology. It is a tool that enriches pedagogy, enables the creation and building of knowledge between peers and allows in a diverse teaching and learning model. At Meridan State College, technology is no longer used just to research information, instead technology is used to,
- Enable the delivery of the Australian Curriculum
- Fulfil the Education Queensland Core ICT expectations
- Promote student learning outside the classroom
- Investigative learning in new and emerging technologies
- Preparing students for an information technology driven world and so much more.
BYOx promotes the above, allowing students to have access to the necessary technology when and where they need it, using a device that best suits their learning style and capabilities.
As part of the Department of Education, Meridan State College is equipped with internet access for students that is monitored and filtered. But, we also support parents that wish to take an interest in their child’s cyber safety and monitor their online activity on their BYO devices outside of the college. However, it is unfortunate that most cyber safety products interfere with network connectivity here on the EQ network environment.
For parents who are interested in additional cyber safety capabilities, products that are known to work within the EQ environment include:
- Qustodio - https://www.qustodio.com/en/ - does not work on Mac devices in the EQ network.
- Microsoft Family - https://account.microsoft.com/family/about?ru=https:%2F%2Faccount.microsoft.com%2Ffamily provided you whitelist our onboarding web portal sites msftconnecttest.com/redirect and guestportal.byo.eq.edu.au. Also, in addition to creating one for yourself, you must create a Microsoft Account for your child and please DO NOT use your child’s EQ email (firstname.lastname@example.org) address. You must use a personal email account (for example, a @gmail.com email address) to create the Microsoft Account for your child.
- Family Zone - https://www.familyzone.com/au/families provided you configure it to completely disable itself during school hours (for example, 8:30am – 3:00pm). does not work on Mac devices in the EQ network.
Products that are known DEFINITELY NOT to be compatible are:
Minimum Device Specifications for BYOx Program
To view the full device spcifications please refer to the Minimum Device Specifications for BYO Program fact sheet located in our related links panel.
- Surface RT, Windows 10 S / S Mode, Google ChromeOS and Android are NOT SUPPORTED Operating Systems. – Please follow the instructions here to “switch out of S Mode”
- Parents and Carers; Please note, the new Microsoft Surface Pro X is not compatible with our school network procedures. It is also not compatible with many of the currently available software packages on the market as it uses an ARM based processor technology. If you wish to look for a Microsoft Surface Tablet, please look at the Surface Pro (Intel), Surface Go or Surface Book as an alternative.
- Devices that have 64GB or less hard drive space do not have the necessary storage for additional software and OneNote Notebook synchronisation - e.g. HP Stream.
- Devices that have an Intel Atom or Intel Celeron Processor have processor limitations which will impact on the student’s learning experience and software capabilities.
- Anti-virus products from vendors AVG, Avast and Total AV are known to interfere with internet connectivity on the college network. Please don't install or subscribe to these services.